Monday, 5 March 2018

Women and Sport: 43% still think there are prejudices surrounding which sports are for males and which are for females. πŸ˜ŸπŸƒπŸ†

iReach Insights Press Release
   
SIGN UP, TAKE PART in our surveys for free and GET REWARDED! iReach Conversations



  • 43% still think prejudices about the various kinds of sports which are specifically for women and specifically for men still exist.
  • 64% think there should be more female sports reported in the news and media.
  • 60% stated that women in sport are not taken as seriously as men in sport in Ireland 

Do people in Ireland take females as seriously as men when it comes to sport? Unfortunately not, according to iReach’s recent study with only one in five adults thinking that women in sport are taken as seriously as men in sport in Ireland. iReach Insights recently conducted a nationally representative survey and 1,000 adults were asked about exercise, prejudices surrounding women and sports & reasons for quitting sports at different ages. In light of the fact that international women’s day is coming up later in the week, we wanted to explore what gender disparity still exists between the sexes when it comes to sport in Ireland.

Despite 37% of people thinking that Females are encouraged by Irish society to play sport, how are th

ey encouraged isn’t clear from this research conducted but this is a positive result of the research findings?

43% still think prejudices about the various kinds of sports which are specifically for women and specifically for men still exist nowadays. Without realizing it, we are constantly watching male dominated sports on the TV which are usually shown at prime-time TV time slots.

Unsurprisingly, 64% think there should be more female sports reported in the news and media. Is it any wonder then that 60% stated that women in sport are not taken as seriously as men in sport in Ireland? This isn’t to say the other 40% think they are; 20% are unsure and the other 20% think women are taken as seriously as men.

Surprisingly there are more males that have given up a sport than females. However, females tend to give up sport/exercise at a younger age than males do. 26% of males quit between the age of 10-16 years compared with 40% of females quit between the ages of 10-16 years.

57% of respondents feel there is more importance put on sport in an all-boys school rather than an all-girls school. This may be a factor with regards to girls dropping out of sport at a younger age – they might not be pushed and encourage by their school to stay in the sport.

Reasons as to why they gave up the sport/exercise are vast – the Top 5 are 1. Time Constraints, 2. Studies, 3. Injury, 4. Laziness and 5. They didn’t enjoy it anymore.
12% more males (48%) than females (36%) stopped playing due to having no time. Double the number of females (33%) than males (17%) quit as their school or studies got in the way.

For more information on these research findings please feel free to call iReach on 01-2143740 or email to oisin.byrne@ireachhq.com


What about you? Share and comment!


SIGN UP, TAKE PART in our surveys for free and GET REWARDED! iReach Conversations

1 comment: