73 % of Love Island Viewers prefer the Summer series to Winter Love Island with 61% saying it sets impossible physical goals.4th February 2020
- New iReach survey reveals that just over one third of viewers (36%) believe the contestants in Winter Love Island are genuine.
- 61% agree Winter Love Island sets impossible physical goals for viewers.
- Almost half (48%) of Winter Love Island viewers have questioned their own physical appearance after watching the show.
The majority (68%) of Love Island viewers are currently tuning into Winter Love Island. However, 73% of viewers prefer the Summer to the Winter series. Winter Love island is significantly more popular with those aged between 18-24 with 39% of that entire population tuning in (in comparison to the 16% of the overall population who tune in).
• 40% of viewers believe that the contestants in Winter Love Island are neither likeable nor relatable.
• 22% believe the winter series lacks authenticity and 20% prefer the location of Love Island in the Summer.
• Just over a third (36%) of viewers agree the Winter Love Island contestants are genuine.
• Less than a third of viewers (30%) agree Winter Love Island reflects real situations.
• Over half (54%) of viewers disagree that Winter Love Island reflects real people.
• 76% of viewers agree that reality TV shows, such as Winter Love Island dramatize events for ratings.
61% of viewers agreed (35% strongly) that the show sets impossible physical goals. Over half of male viewers (53%) strongly agreed with this statement, in comparison to just over a quarter (27%) of female viewers who strongly agreed. Due to these impossible physical goals, almost half (48%) of viewers were left questioning their own physical appearance after watching Love Island. This figure was significantly higher (60%) among 25-29 year-olds.
Furthermore, from those that had questioned their appearance from watching Love Island, 77% were influenced to make a change to their physical appearance.
• Men were influenced slightly more (86% of men) than women (72% of women) to make this change in their appearance.
• 50% of viewers were influenced to make a change by naturally changing their body (eg. weight loss/ gain, toning etc.), in comparison to the 7% who chose to undergo cosmetic procedures to change their appearance.
For more statistics you can visit us at our blog: https://ireachhq.com/blog
About iReach Insights
iReach Insights provides a range of research and market intelligence services in Ireland and Europe. iReach has built a Consumer Decisions Research Panel of 40,000 members in Ireland, delivering robust research insights. The survey questions were included in the Nationally Representative iReach Consumer Decisions Omnibus run between the 24th and the 29th of January 2020 and has a 3% Confidence Interval and 95% Confidence Level.
Questions asked of participants:
Did you tune into reality TV show Love Island in 2019?
Are you currently watching the new Winter Love Island series?
Which series of Love Island do you prefer?
Can you tell us why you do not like Winter Love Island as much.
Thinking specifically about Winter Love Island, please state how much you agree/disagree with the following statements: (Strongly Disagree – Strongly Agree)
Has watching Love Island/ Winter Love Island ever made you question your own physical appearance?
(If yes) Has watching Love Island/Winter Love Island ever influenced you to action to make a change in your physical appearance? Eg. Cosmetic procedures (lip fillers, breast augmentation etc.) and/or other methods (weight loss/gain, hairstyle etc.)
iReach Insights Limited – Temple Hall, Temple Road, Blackrock, CO. Dublin, IRELAND.
iReach Managing Director: Oisin Byrne
T: 01-214 3740 or email: PR@ireachhq.com